Thanks to search engine optimization (SEO), there is a lot the average person can do to maximize the effects that a website has in relation to the overall business. By utilizing a diverse array of SEO practices, you can ensure that your page rank rises, More people are directed to your page and the traffic coming in is targeted.
In short, it can prove a real boon to your business. Unfortunately, you may not realize the negative impact that your web host could be having on your efforts. Choosing the wrong web host could mean that customers are not reaching your site, or worse, search engine bots are passing you over. Here are just a few things to consider when selecting a web host that caters to sites practicing SEO.
If you have already contracted with a web host, there are two things you need to look into immediately: Reliability and Speed. Since Google recently announced that they will now be adding the latter to their lineup of criteria for ranking pages, you should consider both. Reliability has long been an issue for average site owners simply because most cannot pay for dedicated servers, meaning they are likely sharing bandwidth and storage with a number of other domains (all of which are using the same IP address).; This can seriously affect both the reliability and speed of your site.
Constant downtime or backups that make your pages unreachable can:
- Leave both customers and bots unable to find you.
- Not only lost sales (and potentially, customers that won’t return), but also that your site may be listed as unreliable or inactive by search engines .
- Leading to reduced page rank. While you can work to counteract this to some degree, you’re probably better off seeking a different web hosting service.
When you look for a new host, there are a couple of things you should pinpoint before signing up.
- First, find out if they use a cloud infrastructure. This system is more flexible than the average connection-based model and it allows for data to be dispersed across the cloud servers so that downtime is less frequent and loading speeds remain high.
- Next, see who else is using the service. If the number of spam and adult sites is high, it could have a negative impact on legitimate businesses (like yours) that use the same host. Finally, seek out SEO extras.
More and more web hosting services are catering to sites that plan to utilize SEO practices.
Look for an administrative control panel that has tools targeted at SEO. This could include:
- Automatic tagging of pages (or auto-send of data to bookmarking sites)
- SEO-formatted coding (for easier discovery by bots),
- Compatibility with common SEO applications (like those offered by Google).
These are tools designed to make your job easier as you seek to maximize the impact of your website.
You might be surprised to learn that these services don’t have to cost a lot. Inexpensive web hosting used to mean that you wouldn’t get much bang for your buck, but the popularity of SEO for individual site owners (as opposed to corporations, for example) has necessitated a change of habit for web hosting services.